Earlier this fall, Hurricane Harvey hit Texas, bringing upon it the worst storm disaster on record. It has caused flooding to one of the largest American cities (Houston) to date.
Know in the past that when hurricanes Katrina and Rita hit the Gulf Coast, our parent church Christ the Rock responded with prayer, donations, and providing teams to help in the response and recovery process. We partnered with Convoy of Hope, which is an outstanding Christian disaster response organization. In yet other national disaster events we have partnered with Samaritans Purse. Both are highly recommended Christian non-profit organizations.
Here is what you can to do at this time to help:
- GIVE: If you feel led to give financially, bring your special donation to church with the words "Texas Crisis' written on the memo line of your check. You can also donate directly through the Convoy of Hope website by clicking HERE. To make a direct contribution through Samaritan's Purse, please visit: Samaritan's Purse.
- DONATE: Due to the widespread damage the hurricane inflicted upon the Texas coast, area churches as well as other facilites that would normally be able to accomodate volunteers coming from other areas of the country are filled to the brim with those the storm has rendered homeless. If you own a camper, RV, or motor home and would like to lend it to our efforts, we can certainly use the additonal space to house our volunteers in Texas. Click HERE to let us know if you can assist in this way.
- SUPPORT: Collections of needed items are soon to take place at Essential Rock Church which will address the needs of those who are displaced in Texas. Watch for upcoming announcements on items needed and collection dates, times, and places.
- TRAIN: Until the waters recede, use this time to get trained on how to offer aid. Samaritan’s Purse offers classes for the training required to go in as a responder. To learn more, go to: Samaritan's Purse - Volunteer.
- GO: We will soon have disaster response teams going down to help people rebuild. Many have lost everything. We will bring our helping hands and loving hearts to join together in caring for these people. We will need skilled (and unskilled) volunteers to go. Everyone can clean, many can build, and all can help in some way. Together with Christ the Rock in Menasha, we will soon begin sending people down to Texas. The first trip will be led by Senior Pastor John Slotten of Essential Rock. If you are interested in going on this trip, please sign up by filling out the form HERE.
Our first and foremost response to this disaster is to pray. Please take time every day, during every meeting and with every phone call to pray for the people impacted by this storm. Specifically, pray for people to find hope in the Lord, value in a living faith that supersedes possessions, and that many will call on the Lord and come to faith. Let's be in prayer that Essential Rock, as well as other churches across America, will be compelled to impact Texas like never before by helping in the recovery and rebuilding via helping hands and donations. Let's help the world see the body of Christ in action. This is an opportunity to impact Texas, witness to humankind, and please God! (Hebrews 13:15-16)
It will take years for many of the impacted areas to recover. Thank you for being a church that loves with the heart of Jesus.